July 20, 2011

Welcome to this blog, inspired by Indiana-born John E. Bolinger, writer and teacher. John and I were both born and raised, in northwest Indiana, diverging when he went to Ball State, David Letterman's school, and I went to Purdue, my dad's alma mater,a guy who won a Nobel, for discovering, or creating high-lysiene corn.  

John went on to get graduate degrees, in Indiana universities, and teach English, and French at a high school, in Hammond, Indiana. He only left Indiana, about 5 years ago, for the love of his life. Even though liberal, Democrat, creative Chicago, was on the other side of the Indiana border, I expatriated myself from Indiana, in 1970s, to Washington, DC returning only once, in 1984, and for only two days. Sometimes I long for Indiana, but I think it's more like my youth, and my long-estranged family. My family left Indiana, when I was in college. Washington, DC is truly my home. My heart is Indiana. I'm divorced. One son in grad school, in DC. Two white dogs. Still looking for the love of my life, like what John went to Colorado, to find.

I found John, after all those years, through the first volume of his memoirs, All My Lazy Rivers... Discovered his little blue-covered book while googling Indiana rivers, and emailed him...

Entre nous:  I won't tell you much about John's life, because he will tell you about it, in his memoirs... He is a good man... generous, sensitive, thoughtful, a great cook, a good housekeeper, dog-owner-lover, empathetic... He's taken. What can I tell you.

I'm not sure how this blog will evolve... Indiana, John, writing, life, Indiana in our hearts. If you stumble upon this blog, and you are Indiana, please suggest. I want this to introduce and showcase John's writings, and let him tell you about himself. 

I am constantly uplifted by John's optimism and hope, despite his share of adversity. 

Annie