February 25, 2012

A Temporary Escape from Cold and Snow


bougainvillea
Though I love Colorado and the bright sun on the snow (LOTS of snow), I was growing tired of using the snow thrower and shovel to keep the walks, deck and driveway clear.  The northern exposure in front of the house means that if snow is not removed immediately after a storm, it will compact and remain in those shaded areas until Mothers Day.  My friend Chuck, also from Northwest Indiana, bought a place in Florida as a winter home, where I paid a visit and was delighted by the balmy and sunny weather, the abundance of flora, even in parking lots, where landscaping is just as elaborate as in gardens.  I was startled pleasantly by the light colors indoors, wherever I visited, colors that reflected light and gave an airy feeling of freedom from not being confined by walls. There is light everywhere, and even the shady, cool spaces are just as sensuous.

Southern Florida provided me with a badly needed respite from the cold up north.  I met so many other retirees down there, who were busy playing tennis, bicycling, playing bridge, attending and giving dinner parties, working with their church groups, leading full, productive and enjoyable lives.  It was truly beautiful.  Those things are all possible in northern regions too, where there is deep snow and ice, but there is a feeling in Florida of a slower, less desperate pace of living, especially to one like me, someone who is aging and who feels the icy passing of years more and more. I highly recommend a visit down south to anyone who is weary of shoveling snow and needs a pleasant reminder that there is a summer somewhere on its way north in coming months.  I'll include some photos of where I was visiting in Pompano Beach and Fort Lauderdale.  JB