August 18, 2011

Finding a Home for Two Dogs, With Help from Proverbs 12:10 Animal Rescue

I cannot thank Proverbs 12:10 Animal Rescue, near Nashville, enough!

After my sister's death, at her Nashville home, on May 22, her two beloved dogs, Keno and Kota, were alone.  My last promise, to my dying sister, was that I would ensure that both dogs would be adopted, to a good family, together.  I live in Colorado, but kept Connie's house open, and paid the utility bills so the air conditioning could remain on, during the hot summer months in Nashville Tennessee.  Connie's neighbors and friends had keys to the house so they could feed the dogs, let them outside into the fenced back yard every morning and back into into the house at night, give them plenty of water, and play with them. Connie's yard was vast, shaded, and fun, for the big dogs...plenty of space to run, and roam. Connie loved her dogs, more than I can describe. She didn't have much of an estate, which was all tied up with medical bills, from her horrific illness, so I provided her caretakers a generous allowance for dog food, toys, and other provisions the dogs might need.

I contacted at least a dozen animal rescue places, all of which were filled up with no prospects of finding homes for two large dogs that were already six years old.  I asked the dogs' vet, my sister's employer, the pastor of the church, where she worked as a musician, her friends who knew, and loved her dogs. Then I found a wonderful place run by a very loving an compassionate family, just outside of Nashville. This amazing animal rescue organization is called "Proverbs 12:10 Animal Rescue" (www.proverbs1210rescue.org). (Proverbs, 12:10: A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals...)

Both dogs are now being fostered with a wonderful family, who are still seeking a permanent home for them.  Meanwhile, Keno and Kota are happy in their new digs, where they will have a home as long as it takes to find another place.  If another place is not found, the dogs will remain with the family.  Either way, they are in a good setting for their care and safety, and I'm sleeping much better. 

Lavonne emailed  an update, on the dogs, yesterday: "....I still have the boys. They are doing well. Potential adoption fell through... They felt two would be too much for them, and I am NOT separating them even if they become mine. They love riding and seem to enjoy our adoption day outings and have their routine here at my house down pat. They are no problem  and seem happy.." What more can I ask!

John, August 18, 2011