September 29, 2011

A 1943 Letter from John's Dad, Written in the USO

Bowling Alley, c 1940s
                                                                         
By this time, Dad had made some friends and was participating in whatever social life was available to the soldiers at Battle Creek.  He was still in training for something none of them could yet fully understand.  Never having been away from home, Dad was very homesick, like many of his army buddies.  JB

1/17/1943 Battle Creek, Mich.
                                                                                                              
Dear Mom & Dad,

How are you? How is everyone there at the GREAT towns of Highland & Griffith and Hessville?  I’m writing this in the USO and I have no pencil so you probably won’t be able to read this.  I never could write with a pen.  Dad, I received your letter and I really was glad to hear from you.  I'm glad you are off the night shift for a while.   By the way, you know every time I come home, you are working 4-12.  Well, this time we will be able to put it over on the Inland Steel Co. You can’t be on nights more than 5 or 6 days and I’ll be home then, so maybe I’ll get to see you this time.  Are you going to go bowling with us?  I sure hope you will.  The last time I was home, Bonnie & I planned on going bowling with the gang and it sure would be nice if you could be there with us.  Say, you said in your letter that you have the office of Senior Warden.  I don’t know much about those different offices, but I do know that it is something to be proud of.  “Congratulations.”  I’ll bet you have plenty of work to do now, don’t you?

Well, Mom, how is the bowling scores now?  I imagine they re going up.  (They better be or I’ll catch up to you and beat you!  (Yes, Lord, if I get 45 I’ll be lucky, and there you are over the 100 mark).

I was supposed to meet Ray Canarrse here at 6:00 and he hasn’t showed up yet.  They are going to eat pretty soon so he better hurry.  

Well, this is the only piece of paper they have left like this, so I’ll close before I run out, OK?  Tell Bonnie I said “hi” when you see her or talk to her.  When I write to her I’ll tell her to tell you I said “hi” OK? (O.K.)

Bye for now, and I hope to see you in 16 days.
  
                                                                  Your loving son,
                                                                       Elwood