September 27, 2011

The World War II Letters from my Father, by John Bolinger

Fairfield, Ohio October 4, 1942
Dear Mom and Dad,
How are you? How is everything going? OK, I hope.
I’m writing from a different place this time. We were shipped here yesterday. When we arrived here yesterday, they gave us the evening off, but we couldn’t leave the grounds. I went down and called Bonnie, and tonight, if I can, I’m going to call home. 
We have our uniforms now, and they really give you a mess of clothes. I have 2 barrack-bags full. Here is what they give you: 2 pairs of shoes, 3 ties, 2 pants o.d., 2 shirts o.d., 2 pants summer, 2 shirts summer, 2 pants work, 2 shirts work, 1 uniform coat, 1 over coat, 1 rain coat, 6 pair of socks, 3 towells, 4 handkerchiefs, 1 pair leggings, 1 cap o.d., 2 summer caps, 2 work caps, 1 razor, 1 comb, 1 canteen, knife, fork and spoon, mess kit, 1 cup metal, 2 blankets, 2 barrack bags, 1 comforter (no pillow, phoey) 4 pairs of shorts, 2 shirts, 1 field jacket coming yet. How is that for an outfit?
We are sleeping in tents now, and it is cold, WOW! I think tonight I’ll wrap the mattress around me.
Bonnie told me last night that you have been calling back and forth, and I think that is swell. I wish I was there.
How is the mill, Dad? Still as hard as ever, I imagine. Is the little cherry still running?
I am hoping we will be stationed pretty soon so that we can settle down. If we do, I may be lucky enough to get a furlough in a couple of months. Maybe even a month and a half. I sure hope I get to come home around Christmas.
Well, I guess I have to close for now, but please write. Love, Elwood