October 20, 2011

World War II Letters: After War's End, Waiting to Go Home!

 As of September 9, 1945, Dad had his final address on Guam and was hoping to be shipped home by February before the baby's birth in March.  There was already a tremendous release of tension among the soldiers, who knew they would soon be on their ways home.
Sept. 9, 1945
Guam

Dear Mom and Dad,

     I am settled now and my new address will be the address I’ll have for my stay here.  It is:

507th Air Material Squadron
90th Air Service Group
APO 334 c/o Postmaster
San Francisco,  California

     When you write to this address you’ll know for sure I’ll get my mail.  I don’t know when the other mail will catch up with me.  I sure wish I could hear from you and from my honey.

     We have a nice barracks here, and our whole area is built up pretty good.  In the last place we had to wash out of our helmets, and the showers were big oil drums on platforms with spigots on them.  This is comfortable for being on an island.  I was really surprised.  The natives here speak English, and the native women wear regular dresses and make-up.  Their form of transportation is an ox and a two-wheeled cart.  It rains here almost constantly, and the mud is terrible, but overall, it isn’t that bad.  I sure wish I could be there with you now.  Oh, yes, Dad, remember these soft shoes you gave me?  Well, they really are handy.  I wore them on the ship all the way over, and now I wear them in the barracks.  I really like them.

     Well, this is a very short letter, but I’ll have to close for now.  It is time to eat supper.

     Bye for now.  Be careful, and pray I can come home soon, Eddie and I both. God bless you and watch over you.  I sure do miss you.

  Your loving son,
   Elwood
p.s.  Write soon!