October 10, 2011

World War II Letters: Letter from a Pratt, Kansas Military Base

   Dickie was the son young son of Dad's twin brother Eddie and his wife Marge.  Dickie was a bright, handsome kid, who would die of leukemia only a couple of years later, but he was doted on by eveyone who met him, and he loved getting letters from his Uncle Elwood and Aunt Bonnie.

February 26, 1945
                                                                                        Monday morning

Dearest Mom & Dad,

     I just received your very welcome letter and I can’t tell you how glad I was to hear from you.  Elwood has been gone since Saturday morning, and I miss him terribly.  I am going to be here for another two weeks or perhaps less, so you can still write to me here for at least another week.

     I was certainly sorry to hear about Carl.  I do hope it’s nothing serious.

     I have received one letter from Eddie, but I think I told you about that.

     I knew you would be happy to hear that Elwood will be able to stay in the States another nine months to a year.

     Well, I have been Mrs. Bolinger two months today.  I can honestly say I have never been so happy in my life.  Elwood is the sweetest man on earth, and he belongs to me (and you).  Another couple went with us to a dance at the U.S.O. Thursday evening, and we really had a marvelous time.  You have seen U.S.O.’s in the movies,  but I think Lincoln’s has most of them beat.  It’s just perfect.

     How is my little boy, Dickie?  I have thought of him a lot.  Would you please send me Jess and Bee’s address, so I can write Dickie a few lines?

     How are Marge and Ronnie?  Not too lonesome I hope.  Before I forget, I had better give you the address of Elwood’s new base:

Sgt. Elwood J. Bolinger 15332148
630th Air Material Sqdn.
369th Air Service Group
Pratt, A.A.B.
Pratt, Kansas

You may now call me “Kansas City Kitty.”

Please write often, as I will really need your letters these next weeks.  God bless you both.  Your loving daughter,  Bonnie B