October 18, 2011

World War II Letters: July 1945, Missing Home

 At this time,  military security was very strict in terms of soldiers not even being allowed to reveal where they were at the time or where they were going.  The envelope from this letter has an approval stamp from the army examiner.  The return address was San Francisco, which was the base from which soldiers were shipped to the Pacific, where Dad was to serve on the island of Guam, but no one knew that at the time, not even Dad.
    
  25 July, 1945
                                                                                            1:30 P.M.

Dear Mom and Dad,

     We just had a mail call , and I received your first letter with my new address on it.  I sure was glad to hear from you.  Thank you for congratulating Bonnie and me.  I’m sure it will be just what we ordered.  No, Dad, I’m afraid you’re wrong.  Bonnie and I both want a girl first, then four boys, and then three more girls, and then seven....Oh well, anyway, we want a girl.  NO TWINS!!!

     Dad, about that petition.  I am ready, but as you know, I won’t be able to begin at present.  I too hope Eddie feels the same.  I’m sure he does though, with you and Mom as our parents.  You’ve made me feel a lot better now, since you told me you would be with Bonnie when the baby is born.  I won’t worry too much now.  I’m sure I want to be home when the baby is born, so you both know how I feel.  I’m glad Bonnie had a good rest.  She sure needed one.  She works too hard there at her mother’s.  I wish you were living in Highland, and she could be with you.

     I sure miss you both an awful lot.  I’ll never get used to being away from you.  I guess when I get out of the army, I’ll have to live in the town you live in, or all my money will go for transportation from my home to yours.  All Bonnie used to talk about was being with you or having you over to our house.  She sure loves you both.  I’m so very proud of her.  I don’t know how I was ever lucky enough to have her.  

     I’m glad you feel OK now, Dad, since you had your lower teeth extracted.  For two pins, I would have the same thing done.  My lower teeth are all right, but they are full of fillings.

     Mom, please do keep in close contact with my honey.  If you will, I can rest assured she will be all right.  I just don’t want her to work herself to death.  I want her to rest and to have fun, not work all day, seven days a week.

     I’m sorry I can’t tell you where I am.  I know you both would like to know all about it.  When I come home, I’ll tell you all about it, OK?

     I guess I’ll close for now.  God bless you both and watch over you.  Be careful.  I love you, and I miss you terribly.  Bye for now.  I’ll write again day after tomorrow.

                                                                    Your loving son,
                                                                        Elwood

p.s. Bonnie and I will be married seven months tomorrow, the 26th!