October 8, 2011

World War II Letters: Letter from Newly Married Bonnie Bolinger to her Parents-in-Law in Indiana

         It always amazes me how close my mother was to her in-laws, but they were very good to her and treated her as their own daughter.  Mom lived with them for a time, and the first pictures of me were taken by Grandpa B in their home, as Grandpa was something of a serious photographer.  Some of those photos i will post later.  In this letter, Mom was upset at the growing conflicts between some of the soldiers from two different units on the same base, where Dad was stationed in Lincoln, Nebraska before being sent to Pratt, Kansas.  There were apparently some actual fist fights, probably due to the high level of competition on the base, added to the beer that was available in the town at night.  Dad never had any problems that way but was surprsied at the number of other soldiers who went over the edge so regularly.  It was also a time of losses in the Pacific and other places.  News of who had been killed or lost in action must have been devastating to families back home.  In their letters, both my parents spoke of friends and family who had been killed in action. My Dad worried constantly about his twin brother Eddie, and Eddie worried about him too, especially when they were both in the Pacific later on.


February 1, 1945
                                                                                              Thursday afternoon

My dearest Mom & Dad,

     Don’t call the rent squad, it’s just your daughter-in-law writing you good people a few lines.  I have been trying to get your son to write a few lines to you, and I have every hope he will write you tomorrow.  At the present time, he is at camp.  He is also quite disgusted with this camp.  As you know, Elwood is in the Eighth Air Force.  The Second Air Force is also stationed at Lincoln Field, and they are only out for APO min.  There have been quite a few fights, so it’s really safer to stay home at night.  I can’t understand  “our boys” acting like that.  Of all the trouble in the world, and they have to fight over some petty jealousy.

     I have met some of Elwood’s buddies, and they are “kings.”  

     Elwood and I are going to the U.S.O tomorrow night to “cut a few rugs.” Destructive little devil, aren’t I?

     There are two other soldiers’ wives right next door to us.  One is very Southern.  I’ve heard so much “fer to stay,” I say it in my sleep.  the other gal is from Brooklyn.  Yipe!  What an accent (How da ya do, I’m sure, kids!).  All kidding aside, they’re both wonderful girls (I must have my joke, you know).

For Dad >  Look, handsome, why don’t you surprise me with a nice, long letter? So help me, I won’t say a word to anyone!  I’ll even quit wearing red finger nail polish - Boy, what a sacrifice!  I shall look forward to my first letter and SOON.  In the meantime, behave yourself.

                                                                                               Love,
                                                                                             Bonnie B