October 10, 2011

World War II Letters: Betty Grable

The Betty Grable poster of her showing off her beautiful legs was iconic during the war.  The image was found in generous numbers in every barracks, and it became a symbol of one of the things soldiers were fighting for, the beauty of home and having a sweetheart waiting somewhere for the guy to return home. There's a pert quality to the image that makes it very American, because it doesn't take itself too seriously.  Dad had a copy of the image in his trunk, and it went everywhere with him.  I think the picture said "home" to those guys.  After Mom and Dad were married, his Betty Grable poster disappeared, but I can't say who was responsible for that disappearance.  If I had to guess, I'd say that Dad disposed of it, as he was so happy being married to my mother, who was at least as beautiful as Grable, in a much more classic and understated way.