October 25, 2011

World War II Letters: Frustrations and Waiting!

 When not on guard duty, Dad was in charge of the engine supply room, but after the war ended, there was much less to do, and he began to feel as though there was nothing of importance for anyone there to do.  I gathered that Dad didn't like most of the officers and felt a tinge of resentment about their power over him, as he was only a sergeant. His frustration was growing in his continually thwarted efforts to return to the states, though his twin brother Eddie was already on his way home.  Apparently, Violet, their sister, was not good at writing often enough to satisfy Dad's need for letters.

October 14, 1945
Sunday
Guam

Dear Mom & Dad,

     I haven’t heard from you since around the first, I guess.  Is anything wrong?  Have you heard from Eddie lately?  I hope he gets to come home.  I haven’t heard from him either.  Darn it, I wish we could all come home.  I think we may leave here in December.  They are keeping all of the news about when we’ll get home from us.  We can’t find out a thing.  So far this month I haven’t received any of those stars, so I may have to start getting in these officers’ hair.

     I have been off today, and all I’ve done is lie around.  I don’t get a regular day off anymore.  Until they put another man in charge of the third shift, I won’t either.  I shouldn’t kick, because we don’t have to work hard anymore. I’ll really be glad to get out of this army and get a job again.  I would swing a 16-pound sledge all day to get out right now.  I can’t wait to get a good job again and do a day’s work.  This army would make a bum out of a man if he let it.  Bejabbers, it’ll be a fair day when these “awfucers” go back to selling apples on the street corners, won’t it now?  It’s a sad state of affairs when a body has to put up with the likes of them.  There seem to be more lieutenants running around the landscape than there are privates.  Gee, what will happen if some of these officers can’t get any pencils or apples to sell?

     Well, how is everyone there at home?  Hope everything is alright.  Have you seen Bonnie lately?  You have?  Boy, are you lucky.  I have received four letters from her this week.  Pretty good, I’d say.  I sure do miss all of you back there.  I dream of the day I’ll come home again.  Remember the last time when I came home from England?  We talked until the wee hours of the morning.  That sure was a wonderful day for me, to see you again after such a long time.  How are Jesse & Bee?  Did they answer my letter?

     Well, there isn’t anything I can say about this island, only that it is a heck of a place.  I hate it more everyday.  I’ve been getting along alright and I’m feeling fine, but I still don’t like it.  I guess I can stand it for a little while more though.

     Well, take care yourselves, and write soon.  Bye for now.

Your loving son,
     Elwood

p.s.  Not YOU, Vi.  I’m yer brudder.