October 4, 2011

WW II Letters: Glenn Miller Entertained the Soldiers

Glenn Miller and his orchestra were in England for a performance while Dad was there.  In this letter Dad mentions having heard  the 45-minute concert given by that great orchestra, even though Dinah Shore was unable to make the program that night.  Dad and Mom remained huge fans of the music of Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Stand Kenton, Harry James and other stellar performers from the 1940's, who all brought a very American sound to band music during WWII. Later Glenn Miller's plane was lost while he as on a mission, and he was never found.  The brass blend was like gold velvet.  There is no music like it today, maybe because orchestras are difficult and expensive to maintain.  Here are three YouTube links to Miller's orchestra performing three of his most famous pieces, Moonlight Serenade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjq1aTLjrOE&feature=related    

 and another signature piece, SERENADE IN BLUE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2f_TBxagQY&feature=related

And finally, I'VE GOT A GAL IN KALMAZOO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFv_PoZ2iP0

Judging by the almost half a million hits on this song and others by Miller's orchestra, their sound hit the right note during the war, and their music is still remembered and enjoyed today.  JB

                                                                                                                              7 Aug. ‘44
                                                                                                                              England

Dear Mom & Dad,

     I’m terribly sorry for the long period of time I couldn’t write this month.  Same old thing again, huh?  How are you?  I just received another letter from you today, ad it is the first one in about nine days.  I got one from you and one from Vi.  I was sorry to hear Carl left the states.  I’ll bet Grace is almost going crazy isn’t she?  Gee Mom, I never knew you fell and hurt yourself.  I had been wondering when you said you were healing up so nice, just what had happened.  Will you have any scars from it?  I sure hope not.  Poor Dad, I can just see him, when he first saw that you were hurt.  I remember how he worried and couldn’t sleep when you were in the hospital for your operation.

     Yes, that is another prayer answered for Eddie to have made school.  I was so darned worried about him, but now I can rest easy for about six months and maybe by then, we’ll be together exchanging big stories about how close we’ve come to getting hurt in the chow house, huh? (brrfsssk).

     Glenn Miller and his orchestra were here the other day and played for us for 45 minutes.  It was really wonderful.  Dinah Shore was supposed to have been here but she didn’t get to come.  We were sure disappointed, but when he started to play, we forgot all about her.  He sure has a grand orchestra.

     I’m glad you liked that picture.  I thought it was pretty bad, but I sent it anyway.  One of these fine days you’ll get a big one from me.  Oh yes, I received all three of those packages, and the shoes couldn’t have been better.  Now if I can only find an insignia for my cap, I’ll be all set.  Don’t forget to send me those pictures you took of Eddie, will you?  I’m still hoping Jesse won’t have to go into the service.  Maybe I shouldn’t, but I am.

     Well, I’ll close for now.  I hope you can read this, because I can’t.  Thanks a million for the packages.  Be careful. God bless you.

                                                                                                          Your loving son,
                                                                                                                Elwood

             p.s. Tell everyone I said, “Hello.”