October 23, 2011

World War II Letters: How to Earn Points, Gee Whiz!





Like the other soldiers during WWII, Dad kept careful track of the points he had accumulated in hopes of returning home after the war.  I don't know if the Navy and the Army used the same point system, but for army I believe some point examples were:

1 point for each month overseas. 
5 points if you received the bronze. 
5 points for any additional medal 
5 points for the purple heart. 
12 points for each child under 18.

Note Dad's use of the then popular phrase, "Gee whiz!"  I think it disappeared after the 1940's.  The only place I hear it now is in movies from the 1930's and 1940's.  I was wondering what American slang phrases are now popular that will also disappear in time.  There are so many, but here are some I came across:

I went to the beach to "catch some rays."
I "goofed up" on the math test.
We have to "hang tough" on our decision.
Hey, "what's going down?"
This job is "pure gravy."
That food tasted " yukky."
Bob is a real "couch potato."
His girlfriend is a real "airhead."
Who's bringing the "booze?"

Oct. 3, 1945
Guam

Dear Mom & Dad, * Vi,

     How is everyone there at home?  I sure hope everything is going alright.  I haven’t written to you lately, because I was waiting for your new address, but in the letter I received from you today, you hadn’t moved as yet.  I’m sorry, honest.

     Gee whiz, I thought Eddie was sure of coming home.  I hope they take him, though he’s short 1 3/4 points.  I want so much to hear he is home with Marge and Ronnie.  I hope and pray he makes the grade.

     Well, the latest rumor is that I am going to get four of those battle stars we were gypped out of.  If I get them, that will be twenty points more and I’ll have a grand total of 69 points.  There has been a lot of trouble on the count of those.  One time I was supposed to have 51 or 52 points but ended up with 49 over here.  Some fun.  Anyway, IF I get those this month, I’ll be home for X-mas, but remember I said “if.”  I know now I’ll be home when the baby is born.  That helps an awful lot.

     Thanks a million for sending my request box.  I haven’t received it yet but it won’t be long.  I’ll sure be able to drink some of that Pop-Ade.  The boys too.  I gets so darn hot here that when anyone goes fishing and gets a fish, all they have to do is clean it and put salt on it, and eat it.  It’s already fried.

     Say Mom,  do you mean to say you have won $160 already at bingo?  Egads!  That’s a small fortune.  How about loaning me five?  No change?  OK, I’ll take the ten!!  I’m just kidding, I don’t need any money.  If I ever do need any money, Mom, Bonnie will send me some.  Thanks just the same.  If I ever needed money and didn’t ask her, she would be hurt.  She’s sure a wonderful, sweet little wife.

     Well, there isn’t much I can write about this island or anything else, so I’ll close.  Tell everyone I said “Hello” and to write.  Did Jesse & Bee get my letter?  I guess they didn’t.  Bye for now.  Take care of yourselves.  God bless you and watch over you.  I miss you terribly.

Your loving son,
   Elwood

p.s.  Please don’t tell Bonnie about this possibility of us coming home by December or X-mas.  If we don’t get more transportation from Guam and Tinian, we may not get there in time for X-mas.  I want to be absolutely sure before I tell her, OK?